This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to Use FT Analyzer?

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:37 AM
I just downloaded FTA and, after checking your web pages, I cannot figure out how I'm supposed to use your analyzer in conjunction with my genealogy database program, Legacy Family Tree, or with any other such database program.

Do I just use the analyzer to find errors/issues/etc, then go to LFT to make the corrections?

...or

Is there some way to make the corrections, additions, etc. within FTA, then create a new GEDCOM from FTA to import into LFT?

...or

Is there another way to use FTA with LFT??

Thanks for any help with this!!

bridgebum
1 Oct 2015
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2015 at 9:07 AM
The design of FTAnalyzer is that regardless of which family tree program you use you can analyse your data find out more about it, from errors, missing data, where to focus research etc.

Thus FTAnalyzer simply imports data from a GEDCOM file and analyses the data. It specifically does not make changes to your data. I took the design decision that it was far more useful for users to be in charge of any changes they wish to make to their data. So if you have for instance a particular style of recording places or names the program would only be annoying if it interfered with that.

Plus there are so many different formats of family tree program out there and in a lot of them importing GEDCOMs are not always successfully merged. So if your family tree program isn't good at merging data this could leave duplicates and leave your data worse off than you started. Thus I deliberately did not and will not add an option to update the users data. The result of this decision is that you can be 100% in control of your data and any changes.

So to use FTAnalyzer with Legacy choose the export GEDCOM function then import that file into FTAnalyzer. You can then view various reports. Some of the more useful first time ones are the data errors ones and the colour reports to show where you are missing census data or BMD data etc.

One of the best ways to use the program is to focus on a particular area eg: cleaning up data errors. Use the program side by side with legacy and in legacy fix the problems. This might require checking certificates or revisiting census forms etc to check what the source says, if for instance you mistyped a date. Then once you have done a batch of changes export a new GEDCOM file and analyse that. You should see that the number of errors has gone down.

Using this approach, where you export then analyse, you fix/add more data, then export again and reanalyse. Gives you a very simple yet powerful way to work on your tree whilst always being 100% in charge of what data is in your tree.

PS. The colour reports as well as showing you what data is missing eg: where you have yet to find a census record for someone also can be used to automate searching. By double clicking on a red box showing you are missing a census it will automatically do a search for you on your preferred website (Ancestry/FindMyPast/FamilySearch/FreeCEN). By using this then adding the data to your Legacy program you can rapidly see where you are missing census data and can make extra discoveries. Who knows you might even find something that helps break down a brick wall.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to post any follow up questions.
Oct 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM
Thanks very much for your commentary, Levva! This is just what I was looking for on your website. I agree with your decision not to allow FTAnalyzer make any changes itself.

I think it might be helpful for others who are newly interested in FTAnalyzer if your above commentary was available in discussing how best to use the program. I now know exactly what I want to accomplish, and how to do it, thanks to you!

Best regards,

Bridgebum
Oct 6, 2015 at 4:10 PM
Levva,

Somehow, your message to me got deleted. Could you please resend it if you still have a copy? Thanks, and sorry to bother you.

Gene

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM
Which message?
Oct 6, 2015 at 8:35 PM
I found it on the full discussion online! Thanks much!

Gene