This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Suggestion - Persist Root Person

Editor
Mar 7, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Would it be possible to add a new feature to Tools->Options to allow the Individual ID of the Root Person to be set? Whilst I can change this on the fly through a context menu choice on the Individuals tab, this change does not currently persist.

Or even have the choice of setting and persisting the Root Person either via the context menu or this new option setting.

I suspect like many, I have data in my GDM pertaining to clusters of unrelated family groupings, in the hope one day of joining up the dots. Exploring the relationships in these unrelated tribes would be made easier if I could simply set the root and have it persist between sessions.

The Gedcom Stats tab already reports who the Root Person is (as "starter person"), so there should be no additional risk of user confusion.
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM
This is very tricky to implement as it would require being linked to the filename loaded as many people have multiple files and would get confused if it loaded up individual 207 as the root person in a completely different file.

The downside of tying it to a filename is that many people (and software packages) vary the filename each time its saved eg: appending a date to the name of the file. Thus loading effectively the same GEDCOM with a couple of tweaks on a different day would fail to recognise its the same file, due to a filename change, and would not set the root person.

For these reasons I'd rather not implement this. The solution is probably best implemented in the users GDM by setting the root there if they wish to persist it through GEDCOM exports.