This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Census Search

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I have tried the census search but not getting any results at all with Familysearch or Freecen. If I do a search directly from their site I do get results. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Is it possible that your data is missing location information to help the search workout where to look? A small snippet of a GEDCOM file would help eg: where you have someone where the search isn't working export just that person as a GEDCOM and attach it as an issue and I'll look to see where the problem is.

NB. I am on holiday from tomorrow so won't be able to fix this until my return. Sorry.
Aug 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I just tried it again, and same results. It only searches "user submitted genealogies." If I search in FS collections I find the census. Is this a bug with FTA or is this something in FS? I am using Legacy Family Tree. I would send you a snippet but don't know how to create a GEDCOM for an individual or one family. One other thing I would like to know is how the Loose Death List works. If I click on it, nothing shows in the list.

Thanks again!
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I just downloaded the free version of Legacy Family Tree. When I click on Export to GEDCOM file the box that appears has a button called Record selection this allows you to filter who you are putting into the GEDCOM file. I'd suggest then choosing the "Focus Group" option and then add an individual.

This will add an individual to your GEDCOM export and hence create a small GEDCOM snippet.

Loose Deaths looks at the living facts for people in your tree, it compares this with the death date and then suggests how you can narrow down (or tighten up) the range of possible dates for death. If you have no entries that suggests you have very good dates of death for people in your tree.
Aug 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Thanks for the instructions. I will attach the individual as an issue. No rush to look at it. Whenever you have time. As far as Loose Deaths, is it able to compile a list of those death dates that are approximate or missing?
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I'll look the the census issue on my return from holiday in 2nd week of September as I'm off tomorrow.

The Loose Deaths should show you if any of the deaths that are inexact in your tree could be tightened up by taking account of any facts you know about the person being alive. eg: Person is known to be dead in 1891 as his wife is widow on 1891 census. He was born in 1833 married in 1856 and had 5 children, born in Q2 1858, Q3 1861, Q4 1864, Q2 1867 and Q1 1869. He was alive on the 1861 census.

So what can you tell about his death. Well you know he died BEF 1891 and you know he was alive in 1861 as he was on the census so you might have a death of BET 1861 AND 1891. However you also know he must have been alive at least 1868 to have fathered a child in Q1 1869. So if your death entry only said BET 1861 AND 1891 then you would have a "loose death" and it would suggest "tightening" it to BET 1868 AND 1891.

Does that make sense?
Aug 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
The example you show makes sense. I changed one of my individuals death date similar to what you have shown and it now comes up in Loose Death. I may have to go through my file and change death dates to BET. As I said before, take your time and enjoy your holidays.
Sep 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Thanks for the explanation for Loose Deaths, I've a much clearer understanding of it's purpose now.

I have many instances when I have an exact burial date from the National Burial Index e.g. 11 May 1875, but do not know the exact date of death, so I have just the year entered for the death date. Loose Deaths then suggests tightening this to BET 1875 AND 11 MAY 1875.

May I suggest that cases of BET X AND Y where X and Y are the same year might be omitted from the report.