This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Suggestion - Missing Data Tab

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Would it be possible to add the ability, in a new tab, to select for missing data? For example, missing date of birth, date of death, birth place, christening/baptism, parent.
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Yes this is planned. A timeline if you like showing the critical events similar to the Lost Cousins census report with colour coding for the birth, marriage, death events indicating whether the data is absent (red), present but a wide range (eg: BEF 1837) (orange), present but narrow range (Q3 1840) (yellow), exact date (green).

Christening/baptism and burial events will be less harsh with colour coding as often they just don't exist, especially if the individual wasn't a christian!!

Not 100% sure how best to show marriages though as there is a possibility of multiple marriages.

You say "parent" what had you in mind for that?
Editor
Aug 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Many moons ago, back in the days of dot matrix printers and well before Y2k, I cobbled together a piece of VB code which parsed a GEDCOM and produced a report like this. GED-Time-Page-1-Left

B= Birth, M= marriage, V=diVorce( might be extended to death of spouse), P=Parent ie birth of a child, D=Death.

There were a couple of other codes used , I think C=baptism (christening, which didn't occur in the birth year, otherwise B trumped C) and 1 = census (yes I hadn't realised back then that US census was taken in the years ending 0, which was probably a good job as I now have an individual on both a US census and the English census the year afterwards).

May provoke some further discussion

M
Aug 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM
I was thinking along the lines of the Data Errors tab. A way to list individuals who have a missing dob etc. The Parent issue is that often one has an entry where only one of the parents is known and the other is either empty or has a generic such as NN or Unknown. These lists can help to identify where to look to complete the data. Thanks for a great app.
Editor
Aug 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Hi DesertMouse,

Have you tried the Export, Facts to Excel yet? After you open the file in Excel, you can create a Pivot table to display this sort of data.

I raised a Suggestion here that you can check out.
Aug 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Thanks Nichotj,
I could do it this way or I could do it in my genie software. I would just like to be able to do this search if I have received a ged file and before I import it into my genie software. If it is not too much extra hassle and others would also find it useful it would be nice to have it as an option in FTA. A number of buttons to select as you wish and also pick a particular surname and then have it produce a list of names that have data missing. The missing data could be a single event or multiple events such as dob, dod and place of birth.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
The colour coded report I was suggesting would show you who had missing DOB as the box would be red if it was missing. It would also show marriages and deaths. So at a glance you could scroll through everyone in the tree and see what was missing. By adding a filter and a sort to this you could then filter to just those with missing births, or just missing deaths etc.

I could also include the parent issue and highlight where someone is missing a parent. Or perhaps two columns missing father missing mother. This would then permit the same sort of colour coding eg: missing parent red, parent with partial name yellow eg: mother with unknown surname as is very common with England & Wales records, known parent green.

Then include a print, sort, filter, and export to excel option as usual.
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Lewa, this sounds great. Thanks