This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Data Errors caused by Full census date instead of Year

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:37 PM
Almost all my census facts have a full date (08 APR 1940). I change the default year to the full date.

example of "Data Error-Description field"
Census Fact dated 08 APR 1940 doesn't match census reference Roll: T627_2618, ED: 24-2711, Page: 8A date of US Federal Census 1940

I have 958 similar errors.
I tested this fix by changing the fact date from 08 APR 1940 to 1940. This fact was no longer listed as a Data Error. It was listed in the "Show Entered on Census"

Can you modify the code to read the last four digits of the date to match the census reference?
Editor
Oct 2, 2015 at 7:48 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM
FWIW, Wikipedia shows the date of record for the 1940 US Census as 1 April 1940 and not the 8th. I suspect that will the date Levva is expecting for an exact match.

Changing the date to simply 1940 would (loosely) match since the year was correct. That may explain the situation you are seeing.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_United_States_Census)

Martin
Oct 10, 2015 at 6:30 AM
Edited Oct 10, 2015 at 6:31 AM
Hi Martin,
I appreciate you response and I believe you are misunderstanding my request.
I know if I change all the census dates to just the year that FT Analyzer would be able to match my census records.

I am requesting that the program be modified to read full dates.
I intentionally change the default date to the date the census was created. The allows me to match the census based on date to the proper person I am researching.

I want to maintain my corrected full dates and for this program to read the dates and match it as a valid census date.
Stephen
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM
I'm in the same boat as Martin if the census took place on 1st April 1940 why would the program treat the wrong date of 8th of April as correct?

Can you explain why 8th April would be correct if the census was taken the previous week. I could possibly do something with the option to allow close matches but the census date is the census date that's the date people were enumerated. So to me it's just wrong to just randomly accept any date that happens to be in the same year.

The question is why are you using a date that isn't the census date? I'm assuming there's a perfectly valid reason but I cannot understand what it is.
Feb 3 at 7:24 PM
In the US census the 1940 Legal date was first April, but the census return form shows the date the form was ACTUALLY completed, in Martins case 8th April.
I have individuals recorded on the Census as deceased, even though they were living on 1st April