numbering

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM
i don't understand how the numbering of individuals or families work. Why is the base person not number 1? can you have afnatel numbering?
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM
You need to ask that question of your family history program provider. The numbering used is the numbering your family history program provides. FT Analyzer does not add any numbering of its own it only displays the numbering already in your GEDCOM file.

The Ahnentafel numbering is present in a large number of the reports although by definition this only applies to direct ancestors.
Editor
Aug 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM
The program I use - My Heritage Family Tree Builder - applies a number to every person recorded based upon the order in which they are created. I have found that the base person (me) is numbered 1 - but if I try to change that base person in MHFTB this is ignored in the GEDCOM. I use the "right click" option in the Individuals tab of FTA to change the base person.
I suspect that if I had entered my father first that he would have been allocated the number 1 but have not tried this to prove it one way or the other.

The GEDCOM created by MHFTB does record 2 "different" numbers - the one allocated when the person is entered and the other the revised one if there are any deleted persons.

In the Options section of MHFTB there is the possibility of selecting the "true number" for a person - ie the one allocated at creation - or the "consecutive number" for that person - ie the revised number allocated after the deletion of a person. The second system removes any numbers that no longer have a person and re-allocates that empty number to the next person. This change is then reflected in the GEDCOM making the two "different" numbers the same.

I have found that using the "consecutive" option makes the ID in FTA match the ID in MHFTB.

Perhaps there is a similar option in your program.
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I've been informed that Family Historian uses a custom tag _ROOT in the header that specifies the root person. It would be worth checking if this is true for other programs.
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Edited Sep 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Just a comment on Numbering Systems

I like the Ahnentafel method as a means of identifying direct ancestors, and the basic maths is easy to figure, where the number of a person's father is the double of their own number, and the number of a person's mother is the double of their own, plus one. For instance, if the number of John Smith is 10, his father is 20, and his mother is 21.

What I have had a problem with is where a more distant relative fits in the tree - how do they relate to my direct ancestors?

I have adapted the Ahnentafel system to cover this. The adaptation allows the record of siblings and their families. A sibling is recorded as the person’s number, followed by ‘SM’ for a male sibling or ‘SF’ for a female sibling and then the number of the sibling in an ascending order of their age, i.e. 4SM1 would be the oldest male sibling of person 4, whilst 4SF2 would be the second oldest sibling, but this time female. Half siblings will be denoted by ‘hSM’ or ‘hSF’ rather than ‘SM’ or ‘SF’. The numbering is consecutive, so if the half siblings were from an earlier partnership they would be numbered first, i.e. 4hSM1, 4hSF2, 4SM3, 4SM4 etc.

The spouse of a sibling would be denoted by the addition of a ‘P’ for ‘partner’. So 4SM1’s partner would be 4SM1P. Where there are multiple partners they are shown as Pi, Pii, Piii etc. Children of the sibling would be the sibling’s number code followed by ‘.m number’ or ‘.f number’, where the m/f denoted the gender and the number was the ascending order of their age, i.e. 4SM1.f2 would be the second child of 4SM1, and would be female.

The first numerical digit(s) would always indicate the relationship to the main direct descendant / ancestor. Subsequent generations would be indicated by the addition of the relevant suffixes:
4 4SM1 4SF2 4SF3 m 4SF3P
            4SF3.m1     4SF3.m2     4SF3.f3 m   4SF3.f3P    

4SF3.f3.m1      4SF3.f3.f2      4SF3.f3.m3  m   4SF3.f3.m3P 
You can also map back through each ‘.’ Section, so 4SF3.f3.m3P would be the partner of the third child of ‘f3’, who was in turn the third child of 4SF3, who was the third sibling of person 4.

The system will also cope with ancestors of partners. In this case we use the same Ahnentafel process of the father being twice the value of the individual and the mother being double the value plus one, followed by a ‘:’ and then the individual’s identity
                    8:4SF3P     9:4SF3P             
4 4SM1 4SF2 4SF3 m 4SF3P 8:4SF3.f3P 9:4SF3.f3P
            4SF3.m1     4SF3.m2     4SF3.f3 m   4SF3.f3P        
Where an individual is represented twice (i.e. they are a sibling who marries another person in the tree) they retain their first recorded number.

I am assuming the Budgie code does something similar.

Any comments / critiques on the above would be welcome.
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Yes the budgie code is an attempt by a Lost Cousins forum member to achieve the same. We ought to include his description of the system in the documentation.